Friends of Deckers Creek Seeks Executive Director
Friends of Deckers Creek (FODC) is a small, but extremely effective non-profit watershed group located in Morgantown, West Virginia with a mission to improve the natural qualities of, increase public concern for, and promote the enjoyment of the Deckers Creek watershed.
We are searching for an Executive Director who will be responsible for the day to day management of the organization. The Executive Director manages environmental data collection and reporting, community outreach campaigns, environmental education initiatives, communicates with state and federal regulatory agencies and numerous organization partners, and serves as a mentor to the FODC Youth Advisory Board. The Executive Director supervises and mentors staff including a Water Remediation Director, Education Coordinator, and Americorps VISTA worker and volunteers. The incumbent will manage grant writing, budgeting, and fundraising. The Executive Director is responsible for FODC’s communications including membership development, outreach, education, and media relations. The Executive Director oversees and contributes to the seasonal newsletter and website, writes donation appeals, and organizes yearly fundraising events. The Executive Director works with the FODC board to develop positions on key environmental issues and assists with long-term planning and board development.
- A degree or experience in natural resources, environmental science, watershed management, environmental policy or,
- A degree or experience in communication studies, non-profit management, public relations, business management, advertising, or similar field with a passion for the environment;
- Strong fundraising, grant writing, budgeting, and project management skills required;
- Superior leadership, team building, and management skills a must. Previous nonprofit leadership experience is a plus;
- Excellent organization skills; the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects is essential;
- Superior written communication skills; Experience with public speaking including oral presentations, facilitating meetings, and speaking with the press preferred;
- Budgeting and financial management using computerized financial systems is a plus (Quickbooks and others);
- Solid computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point. GIS program, Microsoft Access, and Adobe Creative Suite skills is a plus;
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule that includes some travel, evening and weekend duties;
Friends of Deckers Creek
- Written by Jen Osha Buysse
- Published: 15 January 2014